Thursday, October 28, 2010

A Parallel Universe

I have fallen behind in posting, but will make an effort to catch up in the next few days. Several weeks ago, my friend Isobel hosted a quilting retreat to Capon Springs and Farms. I was lucky enough to be included in the guest list. If you haven't heard of Capon Springs, you are in good company. Most folks don't know about them becaues they have never advertised. Never.
Capon Springs is a mountain resort in the West Virginia panhandle not far from Winchester VA. It is nestled between two mountain ridges and is named for the clear spring the bubbles up on the property. There are drinking fountains that run constantly on the property, but that is not the thing that really makes this resort unusual. There are no televisions or phones in the rooms. Cell phone reception is available only on the golf course. The only TV sets are in the recreation building. There are no locks on the doors. Really.
Whole families come here for a week at a time just to be together. Imagine. Just be together. Board games, card games, long walks, camp fires, reading by the fireplace and eating together. A parallel universe and it is beautiful, warm, welcoming and stress free.
This is where we stayed. That's Isobel in the red sweater.



Here is the dining room where three meals are served each day, family-style.
Since every day is a slow news day at the resort, the management asked if the other guests could come see out work. It took us about five minutes to put on the impromptu quilt show in the little auditorium. What quilter doesn't like to show off her work?

If you ever want to do nothing for a week, this is the place to go.
More pictures.....
It was such a peaceful place, that I just had to share. I didn't know that places like this still existed. Now I know, and so do you.

8 comments:

Kath said...

How lovely, a chance to recharge your batteries in good company. Sounds wonderful! We are TV free (and hope to stay that way) and are enjoying games and puzzles, reading and listening to aaudio books. Heaven!

Malinda said...

For any readers outside the US, the slogan for West Virginia is "Almost Heaven".
I just don't think I could convince my husband to go where there is no TV, internet or video games. I'm sure he began to twitch as I described our outing.

Patty said...

Sounds lovely-nothing but sewing and spending time with a dear friend! Of course it helps that you don't have to cook either!

Malinda said...

The not cooking thing was really the best part!

Jo said...

That resort looks wonderful...! What fun! It reminds me a little bit of the resort in "Somewhere in Time", but a smaller version.

I love the gazebo. :-)

P.S. You never did send me your address so I could send you your prize...! *heh*

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

A lovely weekend ! The resort looks really pretty and sounds like the perfect getaway spot .

Irene ~ RE~VINTAGED said...

I can see you suffered for your art! (Great place)
Thanks for dropping by :)

Irene ~ RE~VINTAGED said...

Oh! and I try to sell the bunting through the Australian Etsy known as Made It. :)