Tuesday, November 16, 2010

One is Silver, the Other Gold

Last week, my friend Glory had her old friend from England visit here in SE Virginia. Suzie brought her lovely daughter, Alexandra with her. I am always so excited to hear that Suzie is coming. She has lived an exciting life, traveling to ALL parts of the world. Her stories are mesmerizing and always with a wry twist (she is English, afterall). Even with all her worldly advantages, I feel so comfortable being around her. She knows the world of servants, royalty and lets just say it, money. She came to my house for dinner when she visited last year and My Sweetie and I enjoyed every minute. She is a delightful guest. I will never know if she enjoyed the meal or was horrified to eat on the back porch with sleeping dogs near the table. She is just that gracious. Now I have the acquaintance of her daughter. So my friend's old friend is now my new friend. I love sharing, don't you?

Speaking of old friends, I have an old friend coming to visit on Wednesday. We have known each other since second grade, but I have not seen her since her wedding in 1976. Carolyn lived across the street from my family when I was in grade school. She had no siblings, but plenty of friends. Her mother was so loving and kind, always including every girl in the class for an afternoon play date some time during the year. I was always around. My mother worked, and back then you just let yourself in after school. Carolyn's mom often took me places after school with her as if I belonged there. Daycare? Sitters? My sister came home an hour or so later and was supposed to watch me, but it was more the other way around.

Anyway, we moved away after the 6th grade and like any childhood relationship, I cherished what was, but was unable to continue our friendship. I attended Carolyn's wedding, and talked to her a time or two after and just lost touch.

Several months ago, I came across Carolyn's e-mail address while looking for something else on the web. I wrote her a note, joined Facebook and was able to find several other old friends as well. Now I am in the midst of cleaning and cooking in preparation for her visit. I hope to post a few old pictures soon, as well as some current ones. I bet you will be able to tell who is who. Check back Friday for updates.

See that thingy over to the right? It tells where my visitors to the blog come from. I really wish they would leave a message so I could visit back. That's a hint.....

5 comments:

Kath said...

Well here I am in England Lindy, it's blowing a South easterley "Hoolie" with rain lashing the windows. bet you don't want to swap with me today LOL

Malinda said...

Poor Kath! It is a sunny 60 degrees with peak fall foliage here. We get our share of nor'easters and hurricanes, but not today. Lots more to do before my friend arrives. I'm making brunswick stew and shrimp creole while chasing the dust bunnies.

Lili said...

Hi Lindy! Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave that nice comment too. It's so appropriate that I read this post tonight as I just got finished making scones and enjoying them with some lemon curd. Always reminds me of England! Hope your visit with your childhood friend was fun too. Isn't Facebook wonderful for linking back up with old friends? ~Lili

Jayme Goffin, The Coop Keeper said...

Lindy - I'm not sure you'll get this or not - I had no other way of contacting you....the skin serum bottles are two ounces. Thanks for visiting me!

Unknown said...

Hi Lindy,
Can't wait to do some browsing around your blog. Hope Irene didn't cause you guys too many problems. Thanks for the comment on my blog.
Ciao, CJ