Thursday, September 17, 2015

An End and a Beginning


Heartfelt thanks to everyone who voted for my quilt on the Quilter's Dream Hopes and Dreams Quilt Challenge.  As I write this on Thursday evening, it looks like I will finish in 6th place.   No prizes, but I am so happy to have one of my quilts in the finals, anyway.   I could look at this as 6th out of the 12 finalists, or (my preference) 6th out of 913 (total number of quilts donated in the year).  Congratulations to the three winners! Someone won a beautiful new sewing machine!

But that is old news now.  I am finishing up my quilts to donate to the 2015-2016 Hopes and Dreams Challenge for ALS.  The Virginia Beach Modern Quilt Guild has had a very festive meeting for several years now where we present our quilt donations for all the members to see. We have been fortunate to have representatives of Quilter's Dream attend these meetings.  Not only do we show our quilts,  but there are prizes, too.  Last year, the chairperson in charge of charity rounded up a staggering wealth of gifts donated by some of the biggest names in quilting.  It was like Quilting Christmas.  Fabric, patterns, books, batting, thread, tools and more.  So exciting!

I thought I would show you two of the quilts that I will be donating this year.

A few years age, I participated in a fabric swap and sew in for bright fabrics to use in making these tulip blocks.  They were lonely in their little storage box, so I liberated them, added some fabric from my stash and here is the result.  




I took a second photo to get a close-up so you could see how happy these fabrics are.




This next one was made from some leftover blocks from another Hopes and Dreams quilt from last year.




Close-up of the details.  Again, all made from stash.  Maybe that sounds like some kind of feat to you, but the truth is that I could probably make fifty more and have supplies left over.   Sad thing is that my children have all the quilts they want. There are no babies on the way.  Every bed in my house is covered with at least two nice quilts.  I can't stop making them!  I am thrilled to have a charity that will happily take as many as I can supply.




There are more, and I will share them as I finish the binding. 
Again, thanks so much for voting!  It was two very exciting weeks watching the votes roll in!

I am linking up to Crazy Mom Quilts

3 comments:

Catherine1216 said...

Beautiful quilts, and what a sweet thing to do with them. I love, love, love the second hopes and dreams quilt. The colors are some of my favorites.

Paige said...

Your quilts are lovely! I especially love the tulip one. Do you know the name of the black background fabric?
Malinda, you just commented on my Rainbow Hexie/Giveaway. Did you know you are a no-reply blogger? You email is not visible when you comment. I know where to find you though!

brycetheseamripper said...

Those quilts look fantastic! Sewing a quilt scares me beyond no end, so I really respect and commend you for creating so many beautiful ones. I can't wait to see more :)