Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Good Night Miss Daisy


Tonight about dinnertime, my dog-buddy Daisy died. She had been suffering from dementia for about 16 months, becomming progressively worse in tiny,tiny steps. She became lost in the house where we have lived for the last 12 years, fell down the steps, lost interest in toys and being petted. She never seemed to be in pain, but her tail stopped wagging and she slept a lot.
I knew she wouldn't be with us much longer, so I made her a red and white quilt for the cold winter nights. Here she is resting under the quilt.

On Monday it appeared that she had a stroke. She couldn't stand up without being held and gave up eating and drinking.

We all checked on her just before sitting down for dinner tonight and made sure she was warm and as comfortable as we could make her. Terry and I were going to make a quick run to the store after dinner, but as we got in the truck, David flagged us down to get us to come back in the house. Daisy had died during dinner.
Daisy will be buried in her special quilt tomorrow.

We sure will miss her.

5 comments:

Pamela Kieffer said...

Oh it is so sad to loose a pet. I feel for you

Jo said...

Aw..... I'm so sorry. It is heartbreaking to lose a beloved little companion.

(((((((hugs))))))))

Jo

Vickie said...

Hello Lindy -
I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your beloved doggie. It's sad, we have to take the pain of losing them as well as all the love they can give.

Just wanted to say thanks for your sweet comment about my little farmhouse. I'll stop back by and do some more reading! Nice to meet you!

Stickhorsecowgirls said...

Sorry to hear about the loss of your dear pet! I lost my beloved terrier, Wendy, Dec. 27 when she ran out into the road in front of our house and was struck by a car. My husband and son were outside with her and she just suddenly darted out.

Enjoyed perusing your blog!

Stickhorse Cowgirl "V"

Patty said...

Losing a dog ends a chapter in our lives, I think. We all need
someone to love us unconditionally.
I'm very sorry for your loss.